UConn Health provides certified interpreters and auxiliary aids to assist patients or their companions who are deaf or hard of hearing. These services are offered free of charge 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Staff interpreters for American Sign Language are on site Mondays through Fridays until 5 p.m., as well as some evenings, weekends and holidays.
- For emergent requests when a staff interpreter is unavailable, services are provided through the Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired or through Family Services Woodfield.
- Please indicate your request for an interpreter when you initially call to make your appointment. You may schedule by calling UConnLink at 800-535-6232 or 860-679-7692 or through our TTY number 860-679-2242.
- TTYs are installed at all public telephones throughout UConn Health and available for all deaf and hard of hearing patients who are admitted to the hospital. Amplified phones, assistive listening and signaling devices are also available.
- Visual fire and emergency alarms are in all public restrooms.
- All televisions in patient rooms and waiting areas are closed captioned.
- Signs with information about the availability of interpreters and auxiliary aids are posted throughout UConn Health.
For more information, call 800-535-6232 or 860-679-7692.