Patient Financial Responsibility
John Dempsey Hospital requests that payment be made prior to or at the time of service at the appointment location for any amount not covered by insurance. Insurance deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurances will be considered as deposits and are due at the time of service. The amount due is based on an estimate that may include the facility, professional, or both sets of fees; in addition this may change based on the services provided.
For patients without insurance, the total estimated hospital bill less any initial deposits made is due upon check-in. If a patient is unable to make the full payment at check-in, financial assistance may be available, however patients should seek assistance prior to the appointment. Alternate payment options include setting up a payment plan or receiving assistance through public health insurance programs such as Medicaid or Charity Care. If patient wishes to apply for one of these programs, the patient should call Financial Counseling at 860-679-4120 and be prepared to supply the following information:
- Federal tax forms, or two months of pay stubs if W-2 is not available.
- Credit card statements if used for basic living expenses.
- Profit and loss statements from self-employed patients/guarantors.
- Documentation regarding receipt of, or payment of child support or alimony.
- Current pay stubs of disability income if applicable.
Payments can be made in cash, check, and credit and/or debit cards with the MasterCard, Visa, or Discover logo.
In order to understand the full impact of patient financial responsibility, it is important that you, as the patient, coordinate with your insurance company once the services likely to be provided are identified.
Contact Information is listed below. Note these numbers should be utilized to make arrangements on upcoming visits only.
- To provide a payment prior to the service date, contact Registration at 860-679-1600.
- For information on financial hardship arrangements including applying for programs and payment plans, contact Financial Counseling at 860-679-4120.
- If payment will be provided at time of service, please do so at the appointment location where the service will take place.
Please note John Dempsey Hospital will not condition a patient’s access to emergency treatment or labor and delivery care on an ability to pay for such treatment.