UConn Health provides interpreters and auxiliary aids to limited English proficient, deaf or hard of hearing patients and their families. These services are offered free of charge 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- The Interpreting Services Office, staffed by certified American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters, is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., as well as occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Professional spoken language interpreters for limited English proficiency patients are provided in person when available, or through telephonic interpreters available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in more than 200 languages.
- For emergent ASL interpreter requests, services are provided through the Department of Rehabilitation Services, LifeBridge Community Services, or video remote interpreting.
- Please indicate your request for an interpreter when calling to make an appointment. You may schedule by calling UConnLink at 800-535-6232 or 860-679-7692.
- Video phones or TTYs are available to all deaf and hard of hearing patients who are admitted to the hospital. Assistance and equipment (TTY, assistive listening and signaling devices) will be delivered upon request.
- Visual fire and emergency alarms are in all public restrooms.
- All televisions in patient rooms and waiting areas are closed captioned.
- Signs with information about the availability of interpreters and auxiliary aids are posted throughout UConn Health.
For more information, call 800-535-6232 or 860-679-7692.