Research and Publications
The Division of Urology is actively involved in clinical and basic science research at the UConn Health campus. We collaborate with basic scientists in many fields. The new Academic Research building provides ample opportunity for laboratory studies as well as support for clinical work. The division also collaborates with national and international researchers interested in urologic disease and has, over the past twenty years, participated in important population-based studies of prostate cancer outcomes and prostate cancer quality of life research. Each member of our faculty is dedicated to the advancement of urologic practice through research and routinely presents at urologic conferences, as well as holding offices in local, regional and national associations. The division participates in many local and national clinical trials and can provide patients with information on ongoing studies at other institutions.
Recent Publications by Faculty Members
1. Albertsen P. Androgen deprivation in prostate cancer – step by step. N Engl J Med, 2009 Jun 11;360(24)2572-4.
2. Voznesensky M, Yamase H and Taylor JA. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the renal pelvis. Int J Urol, 2009. In press.
3. Roehrborn CG, Albertsen P, Stokes ME, Black L, Benedict A. First-year costs of treating prostate cancer: estimates from SEER-Medicare data. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis, 2009. In press.
4. Ghuman N, Tendler B, Gjertson C, Kaur M, White WB. “Incidental” massive adrenal tumor in an older woman with flank pain and hypertension. Amer J Med, 2009. In press.
5. Smith PP. Aging and the underactive detrusor: A failure of activity or activation? Neurourol Urodyn, 2009. In press.
6. Bellera C, Hanley JA, Joseph L, Albertsen PC. A statistical evaluation of rules for biochemical failure following radiotherapy in men treated for prostate cancer. Int J Radiat OncolBiol Phys, 2009. In press.
7. Albertsen PC. Words of wisdom. Eur Urol, 2009; 55:989-994.
8. Kozakowski K, Gjertson C, DeCastro GJ, Poon S, Gasalberti A, Glassberg K. Peak retrograde flow: a novel predictor of persistent, progressive, and new onset asymmetry in adolescent varicocele. J Urol, 2009 Jun;181(6):2717-22.
9. Kramer BS, Hagerty KL, Justman S, Somerfield MR, Albertsen PC, Blot WJ, Carter HB, Costantino JP, Epstein JI, Godley P, Harris RP, Wilt TJ, Wittes J, Zon R, Schellhammer P. Use of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors for prostate cancer chemoprevention: American Society of Clinical Oncology/American Urological Association 2008 Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol, 2009 Mar 20;27(9): 1502-1516.
10. Taylor JA, Kuchel GA. Bladder cancer in the elderly: clinical outcome, basic mechanisms, and future research direction. Nat Clin Pract Urol, 2009 Mar;6(3):135-44.
11. Poon S, Kozakowski K, DeCastro GJ, Gjertson C, Glassberg K. Adolescent varicocelectomy: postoperative catch-up growth is not secondary to lymphatic ligation. J Pediatr Urol, 2009 Feb;5(1):37-41.
12. Albertsen PC. A challenge to contemporary management of prostate cancer. Nat Clin Pract Urol, 2009; Jan;6(1):12-13.
13. Taylor JA, Ristau B, Bonnemaison M, Voznesensky O, Kuchel GA, Hegde P, Pilbeam C. The prostaglandin pathway is differentially regulated during development of invasive bladder cancer. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 2009 Jan;88(1-2):36-41.
14. Smith PP, Hurtado EA, Appell RA. Post hoc interpretation of urodynamic evaluation is qualitatively different than interpretation at the time of urodynamic study. Neurourol Urodyn, 2009 online in advance of publication.
15. Gjertson C, Sundaram CP. Testicular pain following laparoscopic renal surgery. J Urol, 2008 Nov;180(5):2037-40.
16. Smith PP, Hurtado EA, Smith CP, Boone TB, Somogyi GT. Comparison of cystometric methods in female rats. Neurourol Urodyn, 2008; 27(4); 324-9.
17. Lu-Yao GL, Albertsen PC, Moore DF, Shih W, Lin Y, DiPaola RS, Yao SL. Survival following primary androgen deprivation therapy among men with localized prostate cancer. JAMA, 2008;300(2):173-181.
18. Taylor JA, Pilbeam C, Nisbet A. The role of the prostaglandin pathway and the use of NSAIDS in genito-urinary malignancies. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 2008 Jul;8(7):1125-34.
19. Glassberg K, Poon S, Gjertson C, DeCastro GJ, Misseri R. Laparoscopic lymphatic sparing varicocelectomy in adolescents. J Urol, 2008 Jul;180(1):326-30.
20. Smith PP, Appell RA. Does uroflow predict ISD? Neurourol Urodyn, 2008;27(1):40.
21. Albertsen P. Should men over the age of 65 years receive PSA screening? Argument against. Nat Clin Pract Urol, 2008; 5(5):232-3.
22. Gjertson C, Mohammadi Y, Lipke M, Sundaram CP. An innovative medical student clinical clerkship in advanced urologic laparoscopy: a preliminary experience. J Endourol, 2008 Jun;22(6):1345-50.
23. Albertsen PC. Predicting survival for men with clinically localized prostate cancer: what do we need in contemporary practice? Cancer, 2008 Jan 1;112(1):1-3.
24. Richter LA, Hegde P, Taylor JA. Primary non-Hodgkin’s B-cell lymphoma of the male urethra presenting as stricture disease. Urology, 2007 Nov;70(5):1008.e11-2.
25. Albertsen PC, Hanley JA, Penson DF, Barrows G, Fine J. Thirteen year outcomes following treatment for clinically localized prostate cancer in a population-based cohort. J Urol, 2007;177:932-936.
26. Taylor JA, Voznesensky O, Kuchel GA, Hegde P, Claffey K, Tsimikas J, Leng L, Bucala R, Pilbeam C. Null mutation for macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) is associated with less aggressive bladder cancer in mice. BMC Cancer, 2007 Jul 24;7:135.
27. Smith PP, Smith CP, Boone TB, Somogyi GT. Is abdominal wall contraction important for normal voiding in the female rat? BMC Urology, 2007 7:5.
28. Gjertson C, Asher K, Sclar J, Olsson C, Benson M, McKiernan J. Local control and long term disease free survival for D1 prostate cancer following radical prostatectomy in the PSA era. Urology, 2007 Oct;70(4):723-7.